SCCI’s mission is to forge a new path that elevates architecture and fashion to their rightful place alongside other major mediums of cultural expression of our times, by providing a vibrant platform for the exchange of often challenging ideas on these artforms within the broader framework of culture.
While audiences flock in unprecedented numbers to exhibitions of work by living artists, and to discussions, presentations, workshops, lectures, podcasts and blogs on contemporary art, by comparison, fashion, including costume and textiles, architecture, urban environments and engineering feats are somewhat neglected. Launching in April 2018, SCCI’s five-year program looks to fill that gap. The foundation will:
- Feature two annual ‘Hubs’ — concentrated two-week programs of activity built around two core mediums: SCCI Fashion Hub, and SCCI Architecture Hub. Each Hub will comprise topic-related events incorporating words, music, film and cuisine.
- Partner with the Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences (MAAS), the University of Technology, Sydney (UTS) and the Australian Film, Television and Radio School (AFTRS) to deliver the SCCI program.
- Present flagship, large-scale events at SCCI partner venues, and intimate community-focused exchanges at SCCI’s Paddington headquarters.
- Bring international leaders in fashion and architecture to Australia to headline the Hubs, their presence contributing significantly to the cultural conversation locally and nationally.
- In line with SCCI’s philanthropic mission, offer free entry to the public for all events.
- Engage diverse audiences: top-tier Australian fashion and architecture professionals, other practitioners and young professionals in these fields, fashion and architecture students, children, adolescents, businesspeople, and the interested general public.
SCCI will commence its program in 2018 with Fashion Hub, April 5 - 20, to be followed by Architecture Hub in September/October (dates TBC).